- Start with keys. Lo-fi is all about nostalgia, use sounds from classic synths and vst’s that emulate their sound.
- Keep the bpm between 70 and 90
- Use a rhythmic bass line.
- Add FX and additional samples
- Mix and bounce
While there is nothing that truly defines, if a song or instrumental is lo-fi, many fans of the genre would agree that there are certain characteristics that can help you define if something is lo-fi, if you hear a new track and find yourself wondering if it falls into the genre, ask yourself these questions.
- Does it make me feel nostalgic?
- Does it feel within the 70 to 90 bpm range?
If you answered yes to both of the above, it’s Lo-fi.